ANST - Cabin fever

Dennis Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 21 13:27:04 PST 1999

Salut Cozyns,

Lyonel aisai.

First, let me apologize for sounding like a hothead.  I'm not suggesting
that we sue the GW stewards, boycott, or otherwise make their lives
miserable.  I'm annoyed.  I'm not angry. (Yes, Cozyns, this is what I'm
like when I'm annoyed.  No, you don't want to see me when I get angry.)

Second, I don't want to give anyone the impression that my group--or any
other group who paid for but will not receive cabins--have been robbed
or otherwise suffered a major loss of funds.  The GW stewards have
promised to reimburse us for the difference between the cabin price and
the price for tenting.

There are, however, some very real problems arising from this situation.
I've stated some of these already, but I want to be sure I'm being
perfectly clear on this.

One: the top twelve people on the waiting list have been mistreated.
They deserve special recompense.  (Perhaps the GW stewards have already
planned something.  I don't know.  They did not share this information.)

Two: the rest of us have paid a premium price for reservations but--to
the best of my knowledge--we have no reservations.  Oh, they'll let us
attend, and we'll get our partial refunds.  But do we now have space
reserved with Ansteorra, or are they expecting us to make a second set
of reservations?  I'm worried that we've paid for first class tickets
and will be told to ride in the luggage compartment.

Three: the cabin allotment system this year and last was...let's just
say ill-considered.  As long as they didn't receive more than 120
reservations on 1 December, the system appeared to work just fine.  Of
course, those of us making the reservations didn't care for the extra
money we had to shell out for special delivery service to get the
registration package in on *exactly* the 1st of December, but it was no
skin off the Meridien noses.  I asked before the GW VII reservations
went in, "So what happens if you get 200 reservations on 1 December?"
Their response was, "First come, first served."  This is a meaningless
answer.  The 200 reservations arrived on the same day.  The postal
service would have delivered them as a bundle.  How can the stewards
tell which were "first"?  They can't.  This is essentially a blind
drawing.

Finally, how will the GW stewards handle this quandary?  Will they
change their system at all?  Will they simply close the cabins to
reservations next year?

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace