ANST - Gulf Wars

Patrick J. Cuccurello pat at adtelusa.com
Thu Jan 21 14:08:30 PST 1999

At 03:25 PM 1/21/99 -0500, you wrote:

>If, after the dust has settled, those of us who were (dis)affected by this
>policy still feel slighted, then by all means let's take it up with the
people
>responsible. But 1) let's give them a few days to find an acceptable
solution to
>this problem, and 2) let's not tear our own house down in the meantime
because
>we're mad at someone.

I have watched people cut off their noses to spite their face, it's not a
pretty thing, and they usually look foolish afterwards.   My guess is that
the Crown of Ansteorra is probably very annoyed that their populous has
been placed in this position.  Especially in lieu of other slights that
have been tendered over the years.  I would imagine that they are speaking
with their corresponding Majesties in pretty strong terms since this
affects not just people's War plans, but their mundane lives and monetary
situation.

Also keep in mind, that I truly doubt anyone is going to take someone's
money for a cabin they didn't get and not give it back.  It is   a)
incredibly stupid    b) a good way to have the BoD examine your Kingdom's
bodily orifices.  Believe me, I've hailed from a Kingdom that's had the
"rubber glove" treatment a number of time -- some say we ALL walk funny  :)

You have a number of levels working on this.  The organizers of large
events are not idiots (well, okay, sometimes--but that usually involves
large amounts of grain alcohol).  They know that their event will not run
without the good will of those attending.  Those are the people they rely
upon to volunteer.   Unhappy people = No volunteers = Unhappy Autocrats =
Unhappy Royalty =  big butt kicking after War is over.   I expect that the
powers that be are trying to find someway to provide a remedy to those
affected.

Personally,  I believe that those affected should be given some type of
substantial discount, 50% or more, or have their site fee waived.  Since we
are only talking  at the most 120 people, that will not effect the bottom
line of the event to a great degree.  I will also do a great deal to help
remedy any wrongs and problems created by this mix up.

Keep in mind folks, we are dealing with volunteers who are doing this in
their spare time out of love for the organization.  Imagine how you would
feel if you were placed in this situation and did not have the ability to
say "you can't do that".

I'm heading back to my corner now to play in the sandbox. I just hope the
cat's haven't gotten there before me.

Petruccio