ANST - Gulf Wars update

Michael Tucker michaelt at mechatronics.com
Thu Jan 21 17:29:13 PST 1999

Dory Grace (Aquilane) wrote:
> I think that saying "120 beds; first come, first served" is clearly
> deceptive when the fact is "108 beds; and whichever envelope in this pile
> we happen to get to first" is the reality.
> <snip>
> ... All we know is that there are 12
> folk out there, somewhere, who were numbers 113 through 120 who are being
> denied bunks in a cabin that would be getting them *except for* the fact
> that some GW folks decided otherwise, according to all the information we
> have to date.
> <snip>
> whining and squawking along with the other un-humble, non-apathetic folk,
> Aquilanne

Thank you, Aquilanne, for your logical, reasonable assessment. I would make one
small (well, not so small if you were one of the ones affected) point, however:

We're not just talking about *12* people who got "bumped". Heaven only knows how
many packets arrived that fateful day, December 1, 1998; all by express mail,
all "papers in order", etc. If there were more reservations than space, then as
Lyonel put it, a "blind lottery" must have taken place when the stewards opened
those packets (in whatever order) and doled out the space.

Whether or not there was enough cabin space to satisfy all reservation requests
at first, it's also possible the stewards may have later "bumped" people as the
number of attending Royals grew. Again, Heaven only knows how they decided who
to "bump" or when.

Either way, I think there are likely more than 12 people who got "bumped". We'll
probably never know for sure. It's small consolation that it wasn't just
Ansteorrans who got "bumped"; the 1st Queen of Meridies bears that distinction
as well.

Yours in service,
Michael Silverhands,
Baron of Stargate