ANST - Gulf War reservations

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Jan 21 21:46:45 PST 1999

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace said:
> The Gulf Wars autocrats
> owe 12 people cabin space--or at the very least a complete refund by way
> of compensation for the rude handling they've received.

Pardon me, good knight. But. (ho ho ha ha> Yeah right. ROTFLMAO!!!
Yeah. right. If it is the same land people as last year, don't count
on it. I'm sorry.

Last year, when we got there, an hour after the gate opened, there were
few unclaimed spaces to camp. There were lots of large, open, sometimes
roped off areas. After getting told three times that I couldn't camp in
various unmarked areas, I approached what seemed to be a official land
person (only later did I find out he was the head land-o-crat). His
comments were bacically that since we were not part of a big group, he
wasn't interested in dealing with us. "Next year, pre-register". Since
my barony wasn't camping together last year that hadn't been a possiblity.
"Where can the non-pre-reserved camp?". Basically, the answer I got was,
you shouldn't be here if you didn't reserve land. Now, get lost.

In nine years in the SCA, this was the worst encounter I have had with
an unchivalrous, pompous, rude, officious bureaucrat in the Society.
I vowed I would not return to Gulf Wars (I have made all but the second
one) if I didn't have a reserved location.

I think the land allocation/free-for-all has gotten worse and worse ever
since Gulf Wars IV.

My suggestions for everyone:
1) Arrange to camp with a group.
2) Help your group to reserve a spot in the land allocation
   by pre-paying.
3) Arrive as early as possible, to help ensure you have a spot even
   with the reservation system.
4) Take plenty of shovels, axes, saws etc to clear the land if (when?)
   you end up out in the far reaches of the event.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
          http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html ****