ANST - Re: ansteorra V1 #1691

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Tue Jan 26 08:00:25 PST 1999

> Pieter <WohlersP at aetna.com> said:
> > I once heard it said from a Honorable Lord (grant level) that he didn't want
> > to become a "Peer" for that ( in title) would be a demotion. He said that
> > being an Honorable Lord is higher (in period) than a master so-so or a sir
> > someone ( a commoner). I didn't understand his words then but after I
> > thought about it I now understand.

Actually, your friend is incorrect in the underlying assumption here -- just because you get a higher rank doesn't mean that you lose the ones you had previously!  If he's got a grant level award now, even if he received a peerage he'd still be able to have people address him as "Honorable Lord" (a completely bogus title that's every bit as non-historical as using "Master" and "Mistress" for peerages, as has been discussed here in the past).  Most people elect to use their higher-ranking title, is all.

However, if you find a person who is both a peer and a court baron or baroness, chances are VERY good that they will use the lower-ranking title (the court barony carries a grant).  So it all depends on the individual's wishes.  Some people use one title in certain circumstances, and another in different circumstances.

::GUNNORA::