ANST - Hated nonperiod term

Ronnie ronna at primenet.com
Mon Jan 4 08:50:35 PST 1999

>Could people PLEASE stop using the Victorian term "Remove" for the
>different parts of a feast, and use the period term "Course" instead?
>Pretty please?

This isn't intended to be confrontational, only logical, so please be kind
while I'm suffering a spate of tongue in cheeky.  The list seems to work
primarily on modern English usage.  If we went "period" here, I'm confident
I'd never decipher all the various languages or spellings that exist in the
many period centuries and locations in time to make sense of any of it.  So
I'd guess the authenticity mavins would use "remove" properly (though not
exclusively, since "course" also works modernly) here, and their teeth
should only itch when they feel a term shows up in the wrong age and locale.

Please also satisfy my curiosity: when was the earliest, where and why, was
"remove" first used in connection with feasting; and if you will, provide
the authority?  Anyone out there have an OED that tracks the entire eytemology?
Ronnie.