ANST - Recovery Household -- Public Notice

knotwork at juno.com knotwork at juno.com
Thu Jan 14 10:15:33 PST 1999

I applaud your efforts to establish a household to support those in
recovery.  A little-known fact of Kingdom history is that about half of
the founders of Mendersham were NA members, looking for a venue to have
fun without alcohol and drugs.  They formed the "House of Twelve"  (XII,
for the 12 steps).  And, yes, these folks were FUN to party with!  Those
folks have all moved on now, but they are a fond memory of the beginnings
of our shire.

Alcohol is a Big Deal for some SCAers, and that's okay.  I'm not a
drinker myself, but I occasionally enjoy tasting some of the products
made by our vintners and brewers.  Those who choose not to drink, and
especially those in recovery,  need our support and encouragement.  As a
counselor and a long-time SCA member, I have seen the devastation caused
by addiction to alcohol and drugs, both in the mundane world and in the
SCA.  Vivat House Couyral!

HL Joanna Montgomery