ANST - Gulf Wars update

Ronnie ronna at primenet.com
Thu Jan 21 14:23:46 PST 1999

Squawking, griping, crying, are words that add nothing to the discussion
that involves people who have legal contracts that have been breached; who
had expectations based on advertisements; who have made particular
arrangements that require rearranging now, or they can't attend; who have
put money in another's pocket and must suffer inconveniences to come up with
other money, other accomodations, for what was expected to be a good time.

It's analogous to going to an out-of-town seminar, convention, or other
program, and have your innkeeper tell you that, although they took money for
the rooms they advertised to you, they then gave the rooms to someone else.
And, with the inns all full, you have no other accomodations unless you can
pitch a tent, cart your sleeping gear, and come collect your reimbursement.
Gang, it's a very annoying situation where folks were hoping for a good
time.  These kinds of things tend to taint the entire event, especially for
those who are having to make alternate plans and choices.  That's emotional
ground.

I have served members of the Royalty from day one in my SCA time.  Their
"courts", "retinues", "retainers", accomplices ;-), or what you would call
them work *hard* to see that They are comfortable and cared for, that Their
burdens are lightened and Their tasks are performed with the littlest waves
possible.  Having seen some of those burdens and tasks, and the number of
helium balloons They get to juggle to make the appearances we want Them to
(they serve us, y'know!), I have no problem with Them having more
comfortable and pleasing surroundings than us rank-and-file; I've seen
others, and myself, done without to be sure the best is accorded Them we
serve Who serve us.  It feels kinda good to do that.  By choice.  This
doesn't appear to be a choice situation, but one of contract, in which no
choice or alternative was offered.

To my mind, we need to try to stay calm, use non-inflammatory language in
compassion for people having to go through this bit of nasty life, and see
if together we can work through the problems without chewing on each other.
Getting polar to each other ain't gonna solve anything, and will only give
fertile ground to sew hard feelings for the future.  Let's not go there:
it's the most destructive kind of damage.
Ronnie.