ANST - Gulf Wars update

Joel Schumacher jschumac at jcpenney.com
Thu Jan 21 14:38:18 PST 1999

> Sir Lyonel is correct in what he wrote.  Our money is gone and
> we have nothing to show for it.  I support his statements 100 0/0.
> HL Ebergardis von Zell

I didn't see the following post when I originally posted.  It is an
excerpt from the GW autocrat.

> The cashing of the checks is how reservations are normally handled.
> Since an individual may wish to tent, day trip or not attend the
> event will determine how much a refund they want.  The tenting price
> is cheaper if an individual reserves prior to December 31.  I hope that
> this answers your questions.  Should you have anymore I will be glad to
> respond.  John

This seems to state that you DO have something to show for your money.
It seems that your money would automatically be applied to your other
arrangements.  Or, you may want a full refund.  But, by keeping the
money, it seems to show that you've got tenting reservations at the
pre-Dec 31 price.  It only seems to be a $3 savings for tenting, but
still a savings.

Maybe they could have sent you a full refund instead, but by the time
they got done sorting everything out and sending you your check back,
you might not have been able to beat the Dec 31 deadline, (especially
with people being gone/busy during the holidays).  Then people would
be complaining about that.

They may need to address getting you your huge $12 refund a bit sooner
than March, Lyonel.

> Moreover, I apologize if you find all this squawking about cabins
> bothersome, but in my experience the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
> If we all just quietly accept what we've heard from the GW steward,
> why... <a bunch of whiner stuff clipped>

Why it might just be mistaken for humility...

I've seen suggestions of lawsuits and all and this disturbs me.

Deceptive advertising?  Perhaps.  The intent wasn't to screw you or
trick you.  It was to put royalty first.  That could have been stated,
but wasn't.  Either way, it wouldn't change the fact of whether or not
you have a cabin.  If it was clarified, you would have still sent your
money, been rejected for a cabin, and still had your check cashed.

Can't we give them the benefit of the doubt here?  It seems they applied
the money in what they saw was the next best thing: towards other site
arrangements so that you could beat other deadlines.  Meridies is not our
enemy.  They are our hosts who are a little uncoordinated.  Remember,
these are volunteers and volunteers are not always professionals in the
organizing field.

I'm sure if you request a refund beforehand, they will try to get you
one.  But I'm sure they're busy and I can't guarantee that.

So, Lyonel, and others, squawk if you will to this list.  Which is, by
the way, an "Ansteorran" list, not a Meridian GW autocrat list.