ANST - Pysanki eggs correction

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Jan 21 19:00:43 PST 1999

Amra explained Pysanki eggs:

> The egg is "blown" carefully and "painted" using dye-laden
> wax applied with odd-looking miniature funnels (yeah, there
> is an official name for them, it just hasn't stuck in my mind).

Not according to what I remember at the class at TFYC. A plain
wax is carefully applied in a negative fashion, ie: everywhere
you do not want a particular color. The wax is melted in those
little, odd-looking miniature funnels and then dripped/spread
on the eggs. You then dip the egg in the dye. After the dye
dries, you melt off the wax, smooth the egg clean and apply
another layer of wax, where you don't want the next dye etc.
Because you are dyeing areas over other dyed areas, some care
must be taken in which colors and areas are dyed first. The
latter is part of what I don't remember all the details on.

> One critical step in the process is selection of eggs
> with NO blemishes or cracks -- I am told that out of one
> gross (144) grocery-store eggs, there _may_ be as many
> as a dozen suitable ovoid canvases...

This may be true, but I don't remember our teacher at TFYC
mentioning this or being this picky. So perhaps it only affects
the final beauty and not the functionality of the object.
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
          http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html ****