ANST - Please try to remember (was Gulf Wars)

Jerry Norris jerryn at sprintmail.com
Thu Jan 21 21:22:04 PST 1999

that we are all part of a group of volunteers.

Please try to remember that, from the apparent number of people on the list
who are upset over the outcome, that there must have been a large number of
applicants for the cabin space.

Please try to remember that the scope of this particular event is, on it's
own, large enough to engulf the senses of any group of individuals.

Please try to remember that, given the outcome, however the decision is
made there has to be a lot of nail biting along the road.

I must tell you that, overall, I feel at least a small sense of shame that
we fall about ourselves so because someone made a decision that doesn't
follow the exact letter of that which was written on a web page.

The 1st I had heard of this was a few days ago when we received our mail
and our reservations for 4 cabin beds weren't going to be: instead we could
choose from the list of options (camping, day-tripping (WAY too far - even
in Ansteorra ; )).  At almost the same instant I read e-mail explaining
that the cabins had all been given away to Royalty and that they would
probably be held aside for royalty in future GWs.

I've written the autocrat of the event, and posted his reply here.  I've
watched a few try to call for reason while a large number have chosen this
particular slight to be the cause for much gnashing of teeth and tearing of
hair (I don't tear at my hair quite so much any more .... I don't have so
much of it left to tear).  I've read words that threatened lawsuit.  I've
read words of compassion for others.  I've read words of medical need and
some of those words strike close to home, for they are by people who are
dear to me for people who are dear to me; good friends and good people.

Twelve beds.  One whole cabin, or there-abouts.  Just about a good start
for a decent bardic circle.  We throw ropes of litigious words about a
group of people who, for better or worse, have taken on the job of being
the host for two other kingdoms beside it's own.  I hope that we can all
find a bucket of cold water with which to pour over whatever heated words
we have to say concerning the situation.  I am also quite sure that this
will not happen again, though I'm willing to take bets that the number of
cabin beds for next year's War will not number 120.

And then again, never having had the idea of doing cabins before, maybe I'm
just seeing what happens every year when the unlucky don't get their bed
under a roof.

In any case, I hope that we soon return to some form of nobility of cause
and purpose.  For those who may not be able to attend due to the absence of
twelve beds, I can try to share your pain, but I can't find it within me to
fault those organizing this War (Something on the order of herding a 600
pound gorilla w/ a banana and an ostrich feather) any more than any other
person who made a mistake that might have affected the same number at a
local event.

About four months ago I watched a war develop over whether to "steak or not
to steak".  That was the question, and the fur flew.

I will join in w/ Franchesca Havas, who has (as I write this) requested
that we talk of what we're going to do at the war other than be upset.

In service to the dream, with a song in my heart,
jerry.

jerryn at sprintmail.com -  Jerry Norris - Houston, Texas USA
writer, reader, thinker, singer, father, lover.
Gerald of Leesville - Barony of Stargate - Kingdom of Ansteorra