ANST - Latin

Gail P. Taylor gtaylor at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu
Fri Jan 22 11:53:12 PST 1999

Hehe...

Thanks for all who wrote to me, to give me latin instruction.

Haec Vir and Hic Mulier are not a joke.

In late 16th and early 17th century London, what seems to be a good number of
women of all social strata cut their hair off and took up men's clothing and some
of the worst aspects of male behavior.  The wealthier the woman, the more like a
man she could dress...to the point of wearing breeches, daggers, swords, guns,
and the like.  Most just dressed as a man from the waist up.  These women  were
often called Roaring Girls (A play, The Roaring Girle, was written about one of
their number in 1611).  Between 1610 and 1620, someone came up with the idea to
call them Hic Mulier...putting the masculine "this" on the feminine
Mulier...turning it into "this mannish woman".  Haec Vir was also making his
presence known...fops and effeminate courtiers arose over the same 50 year
span.   There was a pamphlet war in 1620 about these women- in them some of the
earliest feminist arguments are presented.  King James finally cracked down,
quite hard, in 1620, and you don't hear as much about them after this.

Finding out about the Roaring Girls solved my rapier persona problem....

I just didn't want to show up at the class that I'm teaching on it and not know
how to pronounce two of my primary sources, pamphlets with these Latin words in
their titles....

Isobel