ANST - Looking for some info...Baronet

Mark n Sue uriel at intx.net
Fri Jan 22 18:35:01 PST 1999

Hi Damon

Damon Huse wrote:

> I have a simple question and I hope someone has a simple answer.  I came across a term called a "baronet", is it a low ranking title or what? About the only thing I know is that the title was used around
> 1150-1250.  Could anyone shed some light on this for me?

When the English began "moving in" on Dublin, the crown *sold*
the title Baronet to any Englishman who would pay for it AND live
in Ireland to establish the enlish presence in the "Pale" (The
area around Dublin. (Hence the term "beyond the Pale" referring
to the boonies)  A Baronet was entitled to add the Red Hand of
Ulster to his arms.

There was a good article in Smithsonian magazine in the early
80's about it.

>From Pimbleys Dictionary of Heraldry:
Baronet - The lowest British titled order that is hereditary.
They are supposed to take precedence immediately after the
barons, but in reality their rank is inferior to that of the
Knights of the Garter.
The badge of a baronet is, sinister, a hand gules ("a bloody
hand") in a field argent.

Tamlin