ANST - Pysanki eggs correction

Carol S Somers elianemn at juno.com
Sat Jan 23 02:18:51 PST 1999

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999 21:00:43 -0600 Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net>
writes:
>Amra explained Pysanki eggs:
>
>another layer of wax, where you don't want the next dye etc.
>Because you are dyeing areas over other dyed areas, some care
>must be taken in which colors and areas are dyed first. The
>latter is part of what I don't remember all the details on.

Having done this for 15 years now,I think I might offer some advice
here........You start with the lightest color wanted <usually those areas
you would like to stay white> Then continually go darker from there. My
usual progression <although I don't always use all the following colors>
is resist the white, yellow, oranges, blues, reds, purples, and then the
black

>> One critical step in the process is selection of eggs
>> with NO blemishes or cracks --<snip>>This may be true, but I don't
remember our teacher at TFYC
>mentioning this or being this picky. So perhaps it only affects
>the final beauty and not the functionality of the object.
>--

Cracks ARE important from the functional standpoint. Picture building a
wall to keep out a 'flood of color' and then finding out there is a ditch
under that wall. Cracks allow the dyes to bleed into other areas, and
they also dye more darkly because you have more surface space in that
area to absorb the color.  The only time I will use eggs with cracks is
for practicing or trying out a new pattern idea for the first time.
Besides, they DO have a tendency to mess with the structural integrity of
the egg, and I don't want to have to redo hours of work because it breaks
when I am trying to remove the wax.

Certain types of blemishes need to be handled the same way as
cracks...Mostly though, if they are blemishes in color, careful design
work could place the blemish in a darker color of dye which would be more
likely to cover the discrepancies.

Hope this helps,
Eliane