ANST - Queen's Champion Highlights

Bryan Reynolds breynold at wans.net
Sat Jan 30 19:59:52 PST 1999

Other news of the event in general:

Friday night was intresting indeed.  A small crew dedicated themselves to the
raising of the list field and the pop-up tents, whilst awaiting the arrival of one
who knew the workings of the Baronial Pavilion.  As the last chains were being
applied to the pavilion, a mighty gust of wind picked up the pop-ups and carry
them away, then proceeded to use the almost-secured Baronial Pavillion to attack
Lord Rashard <sp?>.  He managed to escape the attack unscathed.  Another young man
ran afoul of the list field ropes, and very nearly the earth, chasing after the
pop-up which got away.....turning lazy, graceful cartwheels on its flight for
freedom.  Rain fell in heavy and light spurts throught the night, driving many to
sleep in the hall.  Morning broke to a clear, bright day.  The tents and pavilions
were re-erected, the workers stirred by the ever-wonderful cooking of Master
Spider (sorry, not even going to attempt to spell the other), and the event began
in earnest.  Seventy-Seven (?) fighters came forward to take the oath to their
Queen, and she did them all honor with her tears and words as she addressed them.
Her Majesty charged the fighters to fight with honor, and to meet with her
personally.  The fighters were lined up before the royal throne throught the day
to favor Her Majesty with words and roses, and She honored each of them with her
personal attention, and  a pair of cloth roses. The weather was crisp and clear,
cool but not cold, perfect for fighting.  As can be well imagined,  the fighting
lasted for the length of the day, almost to the setting of the sun, giving way to
many tales of valor and honor for the feast and fires for the evening.  As the sun
set, the cold began to return, but that did not diminish the festive mood of the
court, nor the dancing which followed.

There are a great many tales which should be told of the day, and I look forward
to reading them!

Vivat The Queen!
Vivat Ansteorra!