ANST - Ducal Prerogative

Burke McCrory bmccrory at mercury.oktax.state.ok.us
Thu Jul 1 14:45:51 PDT 1999

At 10:46 AM 7/1/99 -0700, Ronnie wrote:
>It's obvious we need to connect across the Knowne World Lists and see if we
>can find the bottom, the beginning, and the thoughts behind this privilege.
>Perhaps the Bard Ioseph of Locksley, or his lady wife Cheri, who may be with
>us at ATYC from ancient Atenveldt, can share their knowledge with us.

Ronnie,

This question has been under debate on the West Kingdom list for some time
now.  The answer to the origins appears to be that in the earliest days of
the SCA every fighter was expected to compete in Crown Tourney.  Remember
that the SCA was only in the bay area at that time.  After winning the
crown twice it was decided that Dukes could be excused from having to
compete in Crown as a prerogative of their having won the tourney twice.
Over the years and as the SCA has expanded the concept of bowing out of the
list with ducal prerogative has changed to mean something slightly
different.  One thing that I have noted from the West Kingdom list
discussion is that Ducal prerogative is different from Kingdom to Kingdom.
So a better question to ask each Kingdom might be what is Ducal prerogative
mean in your Kingdom?

In Service to the Dream

Sir Burke Kyriell MacDonald, OP
Kingdom of Ansteorra