ANST - Ducal Prerogative]

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Fri Jul 2 09:08:27 PDT 1999

> In the earliest days of the SCA Knights were obligated to fight in Crown
> Tournament.  However, if you'd already won twice.., were a Duke.., you were
> considered to have rendered that obligation IN FULL, and thus had the
> prerogative NOT to enter a Crown Tournament.

This is the way it has been explained to me.

I have never really understood the use of Ducal Perogative other than as a
"wildcard"
to seed the list. I am very proud that I faced two powerful Dukes in the Crown I
won
and they fought me to win. But I do have a rather amusing story from the Crown that

Earl Barn won. I faced my good friend Duke Kein in the later rounds of the
tournament
and he expressed a desire to ducal to me. I felt uncomfortable with this but
acceded to
his wishes but I did request that we fight at least once to show the populace that
I was
worthy to continue. Grumbling slightly he went to put on his armor and explain the
situation to the lady he was fighting for.  We walked on the field for the "demo
fight" and
Kein promptly one-shotted me. He saluted and prepared to walk off the field. Being
very
embarassed I stopped him and told him to fight again. I felt it was inappropriate
for a
duke to one-shot me and then declare I was worthy to continue. So I told him to
fight me
again and if I were defeated then I would accept the loss and be eliminated from
the list.
His Grace looked at me strangely
sighed and agreed, but only with the command, "Don't lose!" We faced each other
again
and I felt like I was about to be eliminated in spite of the ducal command. After a
couple
of passes I managed to strike Kein's arm.  (I don't think he deliberately got it
hit since
he was in the process of ducking my wrap shot and the arm got in the way. Besides,
Kein
isn't prone to deliberately losing anything.) But His Grace immedietly dropped his
sword
and declared me the victor. He yielded the third fight so it was sort of a ducal
but I felt better
about it. I consider this incident "Gunthar being noble." Kein considers this
"Gunthar being
stupid." Well, sometimes the two merge.

Yours,

Gunthar