ANST - period playground equipment?

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Thu Jul 1 09:32:14 PDT 1999

Madelina de Lindesaye asked:

> My daughter (who will be 7 on Bastille Day) asked me last night if
> swings and slides are period.  Does anyone know where I would even
> start researching this?  ...  But where do I even start looking?
> Has anyone researched this?  Any ideas?

Interesting subject idea. I don't have a file specifically on this,
but some of the referances mentioned in these files in the CHILDREN
section of my Florilegium might be of use:
child-gam-msg     (71K)  4/15/99    Period and SCA children's games and
                                       activities.
toys-msg          (72K)  1/ 8/99    Period and SCA toys.

For instance, some of the period illuminations and paintings referanced
in these files are of children playing. Perhaps play equipment such as
you mention might be visible in these. I believe "hobby" horses are.

Another possiblity might be illuminations of late-period gardens.
While I remember seeing lovers and ladies on benches, perhaps
bench swings might be found.

Good luck. I'd be interested in hearing about what you find out.

Lord Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net
(My Florilegium files are at:
http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html)