ANST - Restrictions on Reigns

Lee & Sosha catsden at texas.net
Sat Jul 3 06:53:46 PDT 1999

Greetings!

Ronnie wrote:
> If *we* can come up with honorable alternatives that are acceptable to our
> beautiful Black Star Kingdom, and the BoD sees our ideas have merit, perhaps
> they won't enact something we can't swallow.  And maybe, maybe, we'll be
> avoiding a problem that could quickly erase our quietude.
>
> I don't have any great ideas at the present, but I think it's at least worth
> discussing.
> Ronnie.

The BoD has an unfortunate history, sometimes similar to that of the
U.S. Congress, of enacting the occcasional measure that ticks off 70%
of the populace in order to satisfy a vocal 5% (the other 25% don't
care). It should never be necessary to "fix" something that isn't
broken to avoid having it "fixed" for us. Corpora III.B.3 delineates a
policy of non-interference with individual kingdoms except in cases of
a threat to the integrity of the Society or its legal standing, a
violation of Society governing documents, or a request for involvement
emanating from that kingdom. Nothing is mentioned about "Gee, the
chairman of the Grand Council thinks it might be a good idea." Perhaps
what we should be discussing is ways of reminding the BoD of this
document.
Corpora and the By-Laws provide ways of dealing with those people,
even Crowns, who piss off a majority of the folks in their Kingdom.
These ways are slow and cumbersome, and require many people working
together for a period of time to make them operate; for example, a
petition of 30% of the members in a kingdom will cause the BoD to
consider revocation of membership for the subject of the petition.
*This is as it should be*. We are a Society based on honor and
courtesy. We should assume honorable behavior will be the order of the
day until an individual proves otherwise, then have the courtesy to
treat with that individual on a face-to-face basis. A really
disturbing trend I have noticed lately, is the trend to say "Some one
person has behaved dishonorably; therefore everyone is suspected of
plotting that same dishonorable behavior, and we must enact rules and
regulations to prevent it, rather than punishing the individual."
Let me try to clarify: If certain Kingdoms have problems due to Crowns
trading back and forth every six months, then the populace of THOSE
KINGDOMS should have the balls to go to the BoD and say, "These two
yokels are being bullies, abusing their royal power and messing up our
game. Make 'em sit on the bench for a while." Then the BoD should
consider the actions of the individuals involved, and take what action
is necessary IN THAT CASE. If we are to have a Society based on
individual honor and not corporate conformity, that is.

Donal O Dochartaigh