ANST - Refusing an Award?

D. R. Hoffpauir env_drh at shsu.edu
Thu Jul 22 15:27:14 PDT 1999

C.L. Ward said...

> However, I have a note to add about those who don't want
> awards...<snipped>...If truly they don't want awards, they will tell you so.

    Just as example, I'd like mention one of our locals, Michael FitzRaymond of
Twin Cedars.  This gentleman has been in the SCA for 26 years (membership #1500,
I just saw it before XX year).  He's been a seneschal, heavy marshal, guild
leader, walking group history book, and plenty other things.  He's the active,
hard working sort that is deserving of much but who will accept nothing more than
a heartfelt 'thanks'.

    Chrystal did talk him into accepting the 'Guilded Scallop' which is a pass on
award given sort of as a 'Thank You' from the Baroness.  It holds no precedence.
He only accepted on the condition that it be presented in Sunday court and on the
promise that we would never again give him an award.  It took two years of
hounding for him to accept.

    I don't know his reasons for not accepting awards, they are personal.  I, for
one, think it most admirable to serve something without accepting, or expecting
anything.  It kinda touches a 'noble virtue' cord with me because so much in this
organization is recognition, or achievement oriented (careful not to say
'award').

    Funny to think, I'd be out of a job if everyone thought like Mike.

cheers,
David St. David, Raven's Fort