ANST - heavy fighting + heat...

Keith E. Brandt, M.D. wd9get at amsat.org
Tue Jul 27 07:54:40 PDT 1999

>   I guess the point I'm trying to make is to start out slow, build your
>endurance and tolerance, force lots of fluids- no beer or colas, and know
>when to sit down an take a break.  No one in the kingdom is going to ridicule
>you for showing good common sense.  Follow these suggestions and you'll do
>just fine.

Most wise advise, Your Excellency,

I have not fought heavy since coming to Ansteorra, as I am extremely
heat-intolerant, and personal armor minimums are not compatible with the
heat. As a Chirurgeon, I know well the peril faced by those not used to the
warmer climes.

To acclimate to the heat, you need moderate exercise in the warm conditions
about 2 hours a day for about 2 weeks. I would recommend such exercise
without armour to start, and then when acclimated, start working out in
armour. Becoming acclimatized means, among other things, you sweat more.
The suggestion of cotton undergarments is an excellent idea. The most
important factor is HYDRATION. Keep fluids going (water best, diluted
sports drink next). Avoid things that make you lose more water - caffeine
and alcohol being the largest group. If you are getting overheated,
nauseated, feeling light-headed, or cramps, just sit in the shade, remove
the armor, and take it easy for a while.

With good physical conditioning and adequate time for heat acclimation, you
should do well in the warmer Kingdoms.

If anyone wants all the gory details, I have an extensive article on heat
as it affects SCA fighting on my Chirurgeon's Point website
(http://members.xoom.com/Chirurgeon/sca_heat.html)

In Service to Physick and Chirurgy,
Galen

Friar Galen of Ockham
chirurgeon at altavista.net
Journeyman Chirurgeon
Cyber CIC of the Chirurgeon Mailing List
Chirurgeon Web Page: http://members.xoom.com/Chirurgeon