ANST - Period Iris Ribbon?

C. L. Ward gunnora at bga.com
Mon Jul 19 08:58:35 PDT 1999

I just received the following information from Mistress Tangwystyl that I
thought our weavers might find interesting:

--------from Tangwystyl---------
In the cathedral museum in Sens (France) there is a silk tunic attributed
to Saint Ebbon (8th c.), trimmed with clavii, neck and sleeve edgings of a
tabby-weave silk ribbon (ca. 7/8" wide) colored in longitudinal stripes of
red, black, white, green, blue, yellow, pink (possibly faded red, based on
the repeat pattern), black, white, green, and blue. Each stripe comprises
approximately 8 warp ends, except for the yellow (central) one, which may
be 12 ends.

Tangwystyl <hrjones at socrates.berkeley.edu>
--------from Tangwystyl---------

This is not, of course, precisely what we use for award insigni for the
Order of the Iris, but it gives a good documentation lead for very similar
narrow-band type trim weaving.

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva, OL
Baroness to the Court of Ansteorra
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)