ANST - Scrolls

Cameron Lewis camlewis at swbell.net
Sat Jul 31 19:25:58 PDT 1999

Greetings all from Alrek the new Sable Scroll,

To those of you who are kind enough to paint charters for this kingdom I
am greatful to you and I would like to make some suggestions and
requests.

First, please make sure that your scrolls are copied on the RIGHT PAPER
and your copies are good before you paint it, there have been nice paint
jobs on scrolls that you can hardly read the wording on.

	DO NOT COPY ONTO CALLIGRAPHY PARCHMENT
	The paper does not hold up

Second, There are lots of scrolls in the boxes I was given however, I
like to give out scrolls with details.  That is, dots on early period
scrolls, white work and shading on later period scrolls,  letters in the
title enhanced with something, etc.  I like fluff and pretty stuff on
scrolls.  If you do not know how to do that remember we are an
eductional society and I or any number of painters can tell you or show
you.

Third, Watch your materials, there are some scrolls that someone put on
real gold leaf with a tissue cover sheet but it has stuck and now will
not come off.  Also try to stay away from acrylic gold and silver paint,
especially Liquitex Gold.  It is very difficult to get an even spread of
the gold.

Lastly, try to keep a cover sheet under your hand while you are painting
a scroll.  If you do not the oil from your hand can soak into the paper
and cause bleeding problems with the ink, also it can cause your paint
to not soak into the paper or even smear your paint job.

If you have any questions please contact me, my e-mail is changing next
week so I will post that on the list when it changes.

Right now scrolls of any type will help, so there is no particular
scroll I need.  All of your work is appreciated.

In service,
Sir Alrek