ANST - Heroism, and the rain at Warlord

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Tue Jun 1 08:15:28 PDT 1999

Galen here...

>From: "karl muller" <apophysis at hotmail.com>
>the crown should have been told what happened.  and the kids brought before
>the court and properly thanked before the entire assembly for their heroism
>in saving a life. it's kids like this who give us all hope for the future.
>these two kids deserve our respect. VIVAT.
>km

The heroism in question occured during the bugout that followed
the final court.  Otherwise, I would agree with your sentiment.
If the youths in question can be identified, I would be pleased
to assist in arranging such recognition.

For those who haven't heard the details, we had some rain at
Steppes Warlord.  There are many stories; this one is mine.

A great deal of rain came down Saturday night, fairly soaking
the ground.  Sunday morning, the rain resumed.  Duke Richard,
on the basis of a cup left out in his camp, estimated we got
2-3 inches in about an hour and a half.  This morning rain
began just before Sunday's court, and intensified as the water
continued to get deeper in the large pavillion.

Baroness Clarissa's laurel ceremony was postponed to ATYC.  The
Pelican circle was cancelled outright.  When the peers are too
wet to be self-important, you know it's _really_ wet.

The rain lightened as court was ending, but there was an incredible
amount of water on the ground, which began draining into the various
creeks onsite.  I found my son, who had taken appropriate shelter
from the rain, but who had literally run out of his footwear in doing
so.  I took him to look for it, while my lady began to pack.

Thanks to the person who found, and left on high ground,
the pair of blue and black aquasocks in the merchant area.
They were found by their owners.

We went to the parking area and got my truck, and drove
to the campsite.  Arriving there, we found that the spot
where I have camped a dozen times was now under water, and
getting deeper quickly.  The water level in the creeks was
rising fast.  With the help of many friends in our household,
our barony, and from around the kingdom, we got stuff out
of the water to higher ground.  Thanks especially to Duke
Richard and Countess Anora, as well as to our Western
Region neighbors for help in toting.  Turning to the friends
camped next to us, we madly moved her stuff and struck her
tent.  Then I turned to see that the water had risen to
reach the gear I had already moved once to higher ground.
My helm and my chainmaille bag were both sitting in an
inch of water.  I seem to have lost a tentpole during
this time, so I count myself lucky.

Much carrying and wading later, I observed that the deepest
gully, the one that seperates the bathhouse from the rest of
the sight, was completely full.  The water reached all the
way up to level ground on both sides, and overflowed its banks.
The concrete bridge behind the stage, usually almost 10 feet
above the water level, was only a few inches above the water.

The sun came out, it got warmer and I'm sure, if the site
had not been covered with water, we'd have resumed the event.
Quite an adventure.

- Galen of Bristol