ANST - LONG----Bardic Collage Guidelines Proposal---First Draft

Lady Simone margiejr at sprintmail.com
Tue Jun 1 08:53:50 PDT 1999

Greetings,

After several discusions with bards in our kingdom by her Grace Willow and myself about what individuals want from their bardic college. Along with the conseltation of others, there was an expressed opinion that the reforming of the Ansteorran Bardic College should have guidelines.

Bellow is the proposal of these guidelines. This is a first draft open for commentary and suggestions from the populace. The hard copy of which started being handed out Saterday nite at Steppes Warlord.  I will have hard copies of the proposal with me at events should anyone wish one.

Please Take a few minutes to read over the proposal

Lady Simone Maurian Ui'Dunlainghe
Coordinator of the Ansteorran Bardic College

Proposed Guidelines and Structure

For the Ansteorran Bardic College

With the forming of a new bardic college, comes the opinion that there is a necessity for a few simple guidelines. In order to preserve an organization designed to assist, support and build up the Bardic Community of Ansteorra. To this end the following guidelines are proposed as the rules for the charter of the New Bardic College and are presented to you the populace of Ansteorra.

We would like to have your input, opinions, and suggestions on this first draft so that we may truly represent the bardic community and Kingdom as a whole. We ask that all input on these guideline be sent or given to Lady Simone Marrion Ui'Dunlaing Coordinator of the Bardic College by the end of 20th year celebration.

This is just a proposal, or suggestion at this time. We are wanting Public opinion before anything is set in stone.

You can contact Lady Simone in the following manner

Telephone: (817) 535-1726

E-mail: margiejr at sprintmail.com

Regular Mail: Margaret Risher 3317 Littlejohn ave, Fort Worth, TX 76105

Proposed Guidelines

The term "Bard" in this document is a general term used to refer to all musicians, poets, storytellers, skalds, instrumentalists, actors, and other performing artists.

The Proposed guidelines and there explanations are as follows:

  1.. Any person wishing to be a "Bard" in the Kingdom of Ansteorra, has only to claim they are.
    a.. The Bards in this kingdom have always been self-proclaimed. This policy has seen the rise of many good and well-respected Bards in this kingdom. It would seem foolish to change a policy that has worked so well for the past two decades; hence, it remains, hopefully for several more decades to come
    b.. No individual or group can tell a person that they are or are not a bard. Only the individual can decide for themselves whether or not they are a Bard
  1.. All bards are autonomous except in matter concerning the Bardic Community as a whole.
    a.. Each Bard is an individual with there own style and personality, hence the college does not mandate the type of Bardcraft an individual bard must pursue. Nor does a single Bard talk for the Bardic Community as a whole

  1.. The Bardic College is to remain forever non political, those who hold offices are but trusted servants, they do not govern. They are to work for the support of the Bardic Community as a whole. Final authority for the college comes from the Bardic Community as a whole.
  a.. The Bardic College does not have a political opinion. Political opinions are that of an individual and do not reflect that of the collage. The college as an organization of service to the Bards of our Kingdom, should not be compromised by the differences of political opinions, or to be used for political gain, hence the college remains neutral and non-political

  1.. Individual Bards may hire themselves to anyone wishing to hire a Bard
  a.. Bards earn their keep by patronage; hence, a bard may be hired by anyone choosing to hire a Bard. It is not up to the college to say which bards may hire themselves out or refer a bard for hire. This is an area between the Bard and the patron
  1.. Membership in the Bardic College is open to anyone saying that he or she is a bard. Membership into the collage can only be canceled by the Bard not the college.
  2.. The Premier Bard Of Ansteorra is chosen annually , by the customs and traditions of the Bardic College.

  3.. The primary purpose of the Bardic College is to strengthen the Bardic Community through the sharing of information, ideas, and techniques in formal and informal gatherings.