ANST - Found at Warlord

Sara Bairrington katri4684 at surfree.com
Tue Jun 1 10:29:23 PDT 1999

At 12:16 PM 6/1/99 -0500, marsha.greene at mpan.com wrote:
>OK... since you had to get into it...before I offer something to a child at
>an SCA event, I always ask them to get their parents permission... they run
>away, I watch them ask their parents, and they often come back with
>approval..., or they drag their parents back with them.  I am very aware of
>allergy problems (5 nephews), and do not espouse giving 'candy' to kids
>without checking first with parents.
>
>My point was to thank the children in a constructive way that would make
>them feel good about doing the job as waterbearer..or whatever, so they
>will be happy to be a part of this society, and feel like they would want
>to do service again.
>Hillary

Why reward the child with candy?  In our medieval world good deeds are
often rewarded with gifts of jewelry or other such items.  Why not take off
one of your pieces of jewelry and reward the child's activities?  I wear a
lot of amber when in garb, but I also wear inexpensive bead necklaces that
I can take off and give away when someone does something I feel warrants
largess. Thus you can reward the child with a lasting item that they can
display with pride.

Ulrike