ANST - hairstyles in period

blat at postoffice.swbell.net blat at postoffice.swbell.net
Thu Jun 3 18:16:18 PDT 1999

> Does any one know of where I can find references for period
> hairstyles? I would be interested in any european or middle eastern
> references that fit within the SCA time period.
> I have been researching portraits so far.  If you have any sites or
> books you know of that might help me out I would appreciate it.

 Maybe I missed it is your post, did you specify a culture/ time that
you were primarily interested in?

> Also I read once that a roman historian talking about the celts said
> both the men and women wore thier hair shoulder length, I have no idea
> when or where it was I read it, was I just dreaming or has anyone
> else read that.

I had read that during the roman invasions the more affluent woman were
prone to emulate the roman hairstyles, i.e. most wore their hair up ( &
interestingly enough took to wearing sandles) & that the more rural
woman(those that did not quite so readily embrace the romans) left their
hair down. **I do not know that this is true, only what I read in the
book, & o'course I cannot now recall the name**

> I was also told that for some reason in the middle east hair is braided
> in three, five or seven braid never an even number. If anyone knows if
> this is true and what the signifigance is I would love to know.

The Persians were fond of braids, but rarely wore more than two at any
given time. The Turks on the other hand, were extremely free & creative
w/ their hair styles, so this might be where this custom comes from. The
Folk from the Maghrib (Iberian Peninsela) were *generally* pretty
devoutly Muslim, so often had their heads covered. (Both sexes) If this
is the type of thing that you are looking for, please contact me
privately, I would be ecstatic to give you some authors & book titles,
ect.

HL Bonnie
Namron, Ansteorra
(Few things in life are better then getting to share your research w/
someone else...Especially if you don't have to worry about untieing them
afterwards:)