ANST - Mythical tourney styles

James Crouchet jtc at io.com
Fri Jun 4 06:39:38 PDT 1999

I know this is a really old thread, so forgive me for resurecting it.

On 21 May 99, at 16:45, Conor na Mara wrote:

> > May '98 Steppes Warlord - "SDEL"  AAAAAAHHHH!!!
>
> To add to (soontobesir) timo's point, don't forget that particular
> steppes
> warlord had 95+ fighters enter into the list. I think that had been any
> other format we would have been fighting well into the next day.  So, I
> personally feel that sometimes the Double elimination style tourneys are
> needed.

<Chuckle> We actually have a format is quicker, albeit more evil
still. We call it Dead Is Dead. Basically, it is single fight, single
elimination, double kills are NOT refought, byes are destructive,
wounds retained.

It is SO fast, and a little more random than a SDEL. The tourney
hawks -- you know, the guys that always seem to make the quarter
finals -- really hate it, probably because of that random element.

I think it can be fun, used in the right way. Think of being able to
have a quick tourney and STILL do more interesting fighting that
same day. But then, I don't see it as the sacred duty of each of
every tournament to carefully select the best fighter and exhault him.
It doesn't rock my world if a dark horse wins sometimes.

Don Christian Doré