ANST - Re: Why am I playing this game

Dana Schuman dschuman at afsnet.com
Fri Jun 4 15:58:26 PDT 1999

HL Catherine and HL Isobel,

I think you have missed the point of HL Anya's post. In my opinion, it
wasn't about whether or not people are perfect, or what jerks we all can be.

It was about the actions of 4 people, 2 of them peers(who in my opinion
should have known better), ganging up on one singular peer and backing the
peer into a corner with "no means of escape". I believe HL Anya said there
were 4 people attacking one, not 2.  I think you may have misconstrued that
as well, or you may other information that I do not posses.  I feel that
even though HL Anya did not know exactly what was being said, the fact was
that this was done IN PUBLIC, where SCA and NON-SCA people could witness the
entire altercation.  She apparently heard screeching and witnessed 4 people
advancing on one.  I feel if she witnessed that, then so could others.  The
opportunity was there to make a negative impression on the public.
Something the SCA as a whole has been fighting against since its birth.

 I have no idea why this action took place, but I am overly concerned that
the people in question behaved inappropriately in a business establishment.

Those 4 people who backed the one into a display were not behaving, in my
eyes, as adults should.  I feel the 2 peers of the group (being Peers of the
Realm and raised to that position not only because of there area(s) of
expertise, but of their past actions of chivalry and grace)  should have
realized this may not have been a good thing and suggested their
disagreements be continued in a less public environment and at a later time
so that every one could gather their thoughts and opinions and present them
to each other in a more civilized manner.  Thus resolving the issue
courteously and with dignity for all involved.

Isobel, you also suggested that the lone peer may have done something really
bad to warrant this attack by the others.  I was raised in the SCA to think
that if one did something "really bad", higher authorities, such as the
Crown or Kingdom Seneschal or the like, would be notified and consulted on
the matter.  So there would be no action like this one and so the SCA would
always be in positive public opinion.  It would all be handled with civility
with everyone giving and receiving the respect they are due, where no one is
slighted or treated without respect and feels as if there is no escape or no
way to defend themselves.

The actions of the people involved are the issue here.  And the question was
raised by HL Anya "what do we do?" , "what do I do?" about such behavior.
I know what I will do, I will stand as an example to others of what to be,
not what not to be.  I will show others what dignity, grace, and honor mean.
I will strive to never do what those 4 people have done to that lone peer,
treating another with no respect or dignity.

I was raised to treat your lessers as equals, your equals as betters, and
your betters with the highest reverence.  I will pass that on as well.

Annais de Montgomerie