ANST - Question to old time Bjornsborgers

C. L. Ward gunnora at bga.com
Tue Jun 8 11:39:56 PDT 1999

>Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 22:02:11 -0700
>From: Sara Bairrington <katri4684 at surfree.com>
>Subject: ANST - Question to old time Bjornsborgers
>
>Gunnora or Mari, can you all help us out on the Caid Mailing list?
>Remember this dance that we did a very long time ago in Bjornsborg.  I
>think it was done at one of the October courts.  I surely remember the
>description, but not the name nor the song.
>

>>A very long time ago, at a revel, a dance was taught by ??? that was said
>>to be an authentic Norse medieval dance, translated into English.

The Norse songs and dances were learned at the SCA Twenty Year Reunion from
Mistress T'Sivia.  The original research was done by Mistress Brynhildr,
who now lives in Bryn Gwlad and has been published some time back in T.I.

We learned:

"Ormen Lange" (both the song and the dance)
The kissing song and dance (no stated name that I recall)

The kissing dance was done with the men all in one line and the women all
in another line, dancing a step very similar to that used in the "Ormen
Lange" dance.  The song was:

(women) Where is Ragnar, where is Ivar, where are all of Ragnar's kinsmen?
(men) Here is Ragnar, here is Ivar, here are all of Ragnar's kinsmen!

(women) Who's son is Ragnar, who's son is Ivar, who's son are all of
Ragnar's kinsmen?
(men) A shepherd's son is Ragnar, a shepherd's son is Ivar, a shepherd's
son are all of Ragnar's kinsmen!
(women) Go away Ragnar! Go away Ivar! Go away all of Ragnar's kinsmen!

(men) A farmer's son is Ragnar, a farmer's son is Ivar, a farmer's son are
all of Ragnar's kinsmen!
(women) Go away Ragnar! Go away Ivar! Go away all of Ragnar's kinsmen!

(men) A king's son is Ragnar, a king's son is Ivar, a king's son are all of
Ragnar's kinsmen!
(women) Come on over Ragnar! Come on over Ivar! Come on over all of
Ragnar's kinsmen!

(Men break and run to kiss whatever women they can catch.  Women can either
allow themselves to be caught or can run as they please.)

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva, OL
Baroness to the Court of Ansteorra
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)