ANST - Courtesy in conversation and a farewell

Jerry Dreifuerst morganson at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 18 09:46:07 PDT 1999

Greetings Ansteorra,
Othar here.

It has been mostly enjoyable until now, but my desire to continue
subscribing to this list has passed.  Recently the number of replies
including the entire previous message have grown tiresome.  I'm sure the
veteran list readers are very used to this growing trend of discourtesy and
my ever-so-often attempt to curtail it.  But before I run out of civility
for the posters who generate these time and space wasting posts, I am
removing myself from the situation.

However, before I sign off, one last try.

Imagine a large room with lots of conversations going on at the same time.
You catch a portion of a conversation and join the group that is talking.
But instead of just adding your point of view and letting the conversation
flow, you repeat everything the previous speakers have said after your
comments.  Whatever thoughtful insight you may have added to the
conversation has been dulled and diluted by the other listeners task of
re-hearing the entire thread of conversation.

Imagine a better situation.  The same as above, except instead of having to
repeat everything that has been said, you politely ask aside from the main
conversation for someone to fill you in on what's been covered so far.  When
you are ready to add to the conversation, you selectively cull out
individual points from the other speakers comments and judiciously sprinkle
them into your rebuttals.  Others in the conversation are impressed by your
courtesy and add greater weight to the words you have spoken.  People look
forward to listening to you speak again because they know you value their
time as demonstrated by your courtesy in conversation.

We can do this on Ansteorra at Ansteorra.org.  We can take the steps necessary
to stop a small discourtesy on the Internet.

Yes, yes, I know many of you are at work and are too busy during the day to
take the time to edit your messages.  But if you don't have the time to edit
your replies, then I (multiplied by hundreds of readers) am forced to.  In
the business world everyone wants to include the message trail so they won't
be blamed if someone down the line gets the wrong idea.  However we are not
in the realm of business, we're in the realm of idealistic historical
recreation.  Let's leave the harsh legalistic 20th Century habits in our
offices and show our fellow re-enactors a better way to communicate.

I'm sure there are those of you out there who agree with my ideas, if not
necessarily my way of saying them.  I'm sure there are many who disagree as
demonstrated by the many unedited response postings appearing these days.
Either way, to give me feedback on this thread, you will need to send them
to me by some other means than this list.  Or even better speak to me in
person at an event.

To the many friends I have made through this list, thank you.

I remain in service to the Society as,
Othar Morganson
Stargate, Ansteorra
morganson at hotmail.com