ANST - cattle raids and yard-apes ...

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Fri Jun 18 10:32:35 PDT 1999

On 18 Jun 99, at 12:29, Mark.S Harris wrote:

> Halflings??? You cut your children in half? I'm not sure what good half a
> child is good for (or half an adult for that matter) unless it is perhaps
> one of those thievin' Scots that keep swipping my cattle. :-)

i must protest!  we of the Irish persuasion are hitorically much better cattle
raiders!  look at our literature that glorifies the "raid" (see: Thomas
Kinsella's translation of the  _Tain Bo Cuailnge_) and _Cattlelords and
Clannsmen_ for a deep explanation of the social ramifications of the raid and
it's importance to our society.

on a more basic level, what's wrong with a good old fashioned cattle raid
anyway?  gives you something to do on a friday night to wind down from a long,
boring week, good exercise, get's you out of the house, blows off some steam in
a socially unaccepted way (always the best!), and a provides a centerpiece for
the BBQ on saturday ... etiquette dictating that the previous owners are always
on the guest list.

> Yes, I think smalls is a better term than halflings for children. However,
> what is wrong with "children" my Lady? It is a perfectly good period term.

from the perspective of a barbarian type, was always partial to "yard ape" or
"wolflings" (for those blessed to be raised with the four-foot's)

> Sigh. Next you know there will be a push to get rid of feastocrat,
> nastycrat, troll, farspeaker and other made-up SCA words. :-)

been asleep have we?  that's a plus for those of use who live by sidhe-time,
you miss the passing of these things but you do not miss them once they have
passed.

'wolf
... "car" is a perfectly period name for a vehicle, goes *way* back

... truth is the sword of us all (lords of the new church)