ANST - SCA language was Eldern XXI

Lorraine and/or Kief deer_kief at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 22 03:29:46 PDT 1999

Heilsa Lady Celeste...!

You wrote:

>I don't know.  When i joined the SCA they were already calling the children
>smalls. I think it's cute and I've heard it used in other than my own
>Barony
>so it stuck. I've heard them referred to as halflings in other groups and I
>like the term smalls better.  They don't seem to mind.
>                         Lady Celeste

Ya...when I joined I too heard the kiddos called "smalls" and "halflings".
Then there were "Trolls", and cars called "dragons" and radios were
"elfboxs" and so on..... Some number of years ago the SCA's BoD decided to
move away from the fantasy aspect of the early Society and we've been moving
that way ever since. If the SCA had remained enmeshed in the fantasy game
then I would have no complaint. I still find myself using the same terms I
was "raised" with. But, I strive to call most things by a period term these
days. To me it doesn't detract from our pursuit of a dream of a "perfect"
Medieval or Renaissance world. Cars can be called "wains", "wagons", "vans",
even "trucks"... "Trolls" become gatekeepers, and children are just that...
Even "elfboxes" can become "private musicians". And while it's quite true
that the youth of our fair Kingdom don't mind what you call them...it's us
danged adults that do. There is no disrespect intended towards you in the
slightest and you will not hear me deride anyone publicly in regards to this
matter of "SCA-speak".

Waes Thu Hael gentle Lady...
Kief "in search of the perfect event" av Kiersted
"Better the Hammer than the nail..."