ANST - Restrictions on Reigns

Jane Sitton-Logan/James D. Logan jesl at netzero.net
Tue Jun 22 09:53:38 PDT 1999

Bonjour from Madelina de Lindesaye.

Glenn McFarland wrote:
<snip>

> An alternative solution might be to put more restrictions on the Crown's
> running of Crown tournament...it's the Kingdom's tournament, not the Crown's
> plaything...eliminate the arbitrary exclusion or participants by the crown
> only...enforce random pairings...etc.

> Best Regards, Thorkel

This seems the best idea I have heard to date.  Truly, why in the world would
someone enter Crown Tourney if not to win?  Otherwise, it does seem that the
sole reason for entering is to be a foil to someone else.  If you want to
exclude someone from winning, don't allow him to fight in the first place.  Be
honest.  And by the way, how did Ducal privilege get started, anyway?  Does
anyone know the rationale for it?

Some people seem to think that it is more period to have to suffer through
unpopular political situations.  This is true.  But when I started playing, I
was told that we re-created the better points of the Middle Ages (or
Renaissance, or...), "as they should have been".  Few of us would like to play
the game if we actually recreated serfdom, slavery, and other horrors, so why
would anyone want to pay his dues and jump through the various hoops to get to
Crown Tourney, only to be turned away due to a political agenda?  I know
politics can never be totally eliminated where you have two or more people
gathered, but a blanket declaration that someone is just not worthy to be King
isn't good enough, in my estimation.  Back that claim up with some proof.
Insert a "moral turpitude" clause into the requirements for entering the list if
you wish, but for goodness sake, don't use suitability as a veil for deception.
I'm sure some people can think of one King they would rather hadn't have won.
But like all things, "this too shall pass."

When it comes to repeating Kingships, the one reign wait for an Earl/Count and
two reign wait for a Duke seems the best solution.  I'm just curious, though,
why does anyone ever desire to win Crown Tourney more than twice?  Why not stop
there?  Upon becoming a Duke, no more Crown Tourneys?  Or is that too limiting?

Much to think about.

Amicalement,
Madelina de Lindesaye