ANST - limits on reigns

Lorraine and/or Kief deer_kief at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 23 03:08:57 PDT 1999

Heilsa Stefan...!

You have asked questions:

Be it noted that I am not answering for HE Rebekah.

>I'm curious. Why do you feel the test of the Crown List is sufficent?
>What is the test?

The test is one of skill in arms. Stamina and tactical ability. As well, it
is the test of patience and the dedication of an individual to train long
and hard to gain the needed skills to win the tournament with honor and
chivalry.

>Do you think it proves leadership ability? Does it
>prove the ability to work with others to get things done? Does it
>indicate any knowledge of the Middle Ages and the SCA other than
>armored combat?

You will notice, good my friend and neighbor, that it is always one of the
Chivalry that wins the Crown Lists in Ansteorra. (The three exceptions were
Inman, Sigmund, and Patrick Michael.) This seeming monopoly of the Crown
Lists is for good reason. To be a member of the Chivalry in Ansteorra does
require good leadership skills. You will also notice that most all the
Chivalry in this Kingdom hold one or more service awards. I dare say the all
the Chivalry have been Stewards of events, local, regional, or Kingdom
officers, or deputies of same, etc. The Chivalry in Ansteorra most certainly
do have an excellent working knowledge of matters Medieval/Renaissance and
of the Current Middle Ages. You will find in the ranks of the Chivalry not
only those that serve, but those that that hold one or more awards in the
gentler arts. Overall the members of the Chivalry are well rounded
individuals that give of themselves most generously. IMO I feel that
Ansteorra is blessed with some of the truest Chivalry that exist in the
Known World.

>Does it prevent a small minority from monopolizing
>the decision making?

The "small minority" (this is somewhat redundant) that makes the decisions
is far larger than you think. It includes all the Greater and Lesser
Officers of State, the Territorial Barons and Baronesses, the Regional
Officers, the Deputies of the Greater and Lesser Officers, the populace at
large (If they care to give input. And many like yourself do care!), as well
as the Crowns and Crown Heirs. Remember that the decisions of the Crown can
and are reviewed by the BoD if there is sufficent cause.

>It is a pretty unique method for choosing an organisations leaders and
>has worked reasonably well, with only a few failures in this kingdom
>and others, but it can be improved. I am loath to say we should throw
>it out as I've not seen any alternatives I like better.

It is a quite unique method for choosing leaders of an organization. The
Society is somewhat unique in have a dual-tier organizational structure. The
Crowns are just the manifestion of the "Medival/Renaissance" side of the
coin. Given the original flavor of the SCA and the "Dream" that it
engendered, it would be good to revel in the gift we have of "Crown Heads of
State". How so very droll it would be to be governed by someone that was
voted in on a popularity contest, or that bought the station because they
could.

And I certainly would like to read your thoughts on improving our methods of
choosing our Rulers.

>Lord Stefan li Rous
>Barony of Bryn Gwlad
>Ansteorra

Waes Thu Hael kinsman...
HE Sir Kief av Kiersted, Pelican, Lion of Ansteorra
"Better the Hammer than the nail..."