ANST - limits on reigns

Tim Lozos timden at lcc.net
Wed Jun 23 11:48:18 PDT 1999

Greetings all!

...entering the excellent conversation of Sir Kief and Ld. Stefan....

Sir Kief's description...

>> The test is one of skill in arms. Stamina and tactical ability. As well, it
>> is the test of patience and the dedication of an individual to train long
>> and hard to gain the needed skills to win the tournament with honor and
>> chivalry.

Ld. Stefan's rebuttal...

>And passing this test proves one is the best of the candidates for the
>job of leading a large and complex, multi-sided volunteer organization?
>Does it exclude a large number of better qualified possiblities?

It's not perfect. Far from it, but we are playing a game based (however
loosely) on a feudal system of government. One where Kings would take power
when they could. Now, of course, we all try to play nice, which leads to a
duality of a Crown that is "strong" in a sense of their accomplisment on the
field and in ceremonial aspects of the game, but "weak" in the fact that we
still live in a free society and Their Majesties can not force Their will
upon anybody without their consent.

There are many well qualified people out there who will never become Crown
becuse they dont fight. Maybe thats not fair in the modern sense of the
word, but, we are playing a feudal game. What would you like? A general vote?

Ld.Stefan continues..

>Then why is the list wieghted to give the Knights an advantage? I really
>don't see that it is needed. In other words, why not have a completely
>random pairing system? Why is it setup so that Knights do not fight
>Knights in the first round? I assume that after the first round that all
>the pairing is done completely at random.

Huh? How is it an advantage? The "tradition" is to line everyone up by Order
of Precedence and fold the list for the first round. So the highest ranking
member fights the lowest, the second highest fights the second lowest, ect.
Usually a Duke or two are at the top, and they fight the lowest ranking
persons there, a person sometimes without an AOA. Now, IMHO, this is a
mismatch, but if a person with little SCA experience wishes to enter Crown,
then they need to prove themselves.

Further down the list, remember, that Landed Nobles outrank knights and also
that Laurels and Pelicans are peers too. So, like at this Crown, you might
see Baron Llwellyn or Baron Aethalstan or Baron Drake (before he was
knighted) near the top, and other peers such as Mistress Stella and Master
Robin above many of the knights.

Until the Crown Earl Barn won, there had never been more knights in a list
than non-belts, so usually knights fought non-belts in the first round.
But, you want a hint? The best fights are almost always right in the middle
of the fold! Thats because  thats where the new knights are faceing each
other or upper level squires and Centurions. You may think that its an
advantage, but those are hard fights.

After the first round, (well, actually, the whole time) it's up to the Crown
how to pair. HRM Gunthar actually randomly drew the *entire* list at this
last crown.

Sir Kief...

> To be a member of the Chivalry in Ansteorra does
>> require good leadership skills.

Ld.Stefan..

>Why? Is this something that is required for entry into the Order? Is this
>something that is looked for? How is it wieghted against the ability
>to win on the tournament field?

Yes it is. According to Corpora:

(2) The duties of the Chivalry include:
 (a) To set an example of courtesy and chivalrous conduct on and off the
field of honor.
 (b) To respect the Crown of the kingdom; to support and uphold the laws of
the kingdom and the governing documents of the Society.
(c) (If the member has sworn fealty to the Crown) To support and uphold the
Crown of his or her kingdom.
(d) To enrich the kingdom by sharing his or her knowledge and skills.
(e) To enhance the renown and defend the honor of the peer's Lady or Lord.
(f) To advise the Crown on the advancement of candidates for the Chivalry.
(g) The sole right, if a member of the Order of Knighthood, as Sovereign or
acting directly for the Sovereign, to bestow the Accolade of Knighthood upon
a candidate for the Order of Knighthood; for only a Knight can create a Knight.

Now, that sounds like de facto leadership in the Society and Kingdom to me.
As for fighting, Corpora says:

(1) Specific requirements:
(a) The candidate must be considered the equal of his or her prospective
peers with the basic weapons of tournament combat.

Thats pretty nebulous. There are a wide range of knights/masters in the
circle with a wide range of talent. Some have won dozens of tourneys, some
have won none.

Ld. Stefan..
>But this well-rounded attribute is not required as far as I can see. I think we
>have actually been quite lucky in Ansteorra.

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean most of the knights you've seen are
not well rounded, or that there is no Written "well-rounded" requirement
that you've found?

Corpora says, under general requirements for peerage: ( gee, I feel like a
rules lawyer today:)  )

g. They shall have made every effort to learn and practice those skills
desirable at and worthy of a civilized court. To this end they should have
some knowledge of a wide range of period forms, including but not limited to
literature, dancing, music, heraldry, and chess, and they should have some
familiarity with combat as practiced in the Society. They should also
participate in Society recreations of several aspects of the culture of the
Middle Ages and Renaissance.

Sir Kief...

 >How so very droll it would be to be governed by someone that was
>> voted in on a popularity contest, or that bought the station because they
>> could.

Ld Stefan...

>Yes and if the crowns stuck to just the Medieval/Renaissance side of things
>then there probably wouldn't be the concern. But they don't. With 'The King's
>Word is Law" they have much more power than just affecting the medieval side
>and atmosphere of events.

No they dont. As I stated earlier, The Crown has no real power over you
other than what you give them. Even "the kings word is law" is really "The
Crown's word, subject to Corpora and the By-laws of the Society and modern
law, is Law...of course if it's really dumb the next Crown can change it back".

Some other Kingdoms it's more like "The Crown's word, subject to Corpora,
By-laws, Modern Law, The Council of Great Officers, the Landed Nobility, the
Peerage Circles, the Heads of Greater Housholds, The Senseshal's of all
local groups, the FDA, NRA, IRS, TWA, NAACP, PETA, NHL, and Duke Bob's dog;
is law in the People's Republic, sorta."

One of the neatest things I've heard about being king is from Duke Kein. He
said, in explaining to non-SCA friends what he did on the weekend, " I
pretend I'm King, and the nice thing is that 3000 other people pretend I'm
King, too".

Now, I could pretend I'm Dread EmperorKing Wrathbrakker the First, in the
Feudal Society of America. Makeing proclomations, declaring war, banishing
heathans, etc etc. But that wouldnt be much fun, since I'd be the only one
doing it. That is kind of a limiting factor of our Crowns, for if they
become too unpleasent, no one will pretend that their the Crown anymore.

Ld. Stefan..

> I think we should come up
>with some ways to make the job easier. Perhaps take them out of having to
>attend Peerage Circles which seems to take up a lot of their time. Why must
>the peerage candidate be approved by the crown? Why not just by the circle?
>But then that might cause more political battles in the circles.

The Crown is the one who gives the award. They should be there to hear the
arguments both pro and con on elevating a person to the peerage.

Sir Timo

Dread EmperorKing Wrathbrakker the First
Feudal Society of America.
membership #00000001