ANST - re: Sniping

I. Marc Carlson LIB_IMC at centum.utulsa.edu
Wed Jun 23 12:29:31 PDT 1999

<Vicki Marsh <Vicki_Marsh at administaff.com>>
>After attending a wonderful King's College, I was wondering what everyone
>else thought of "sniping", that is, attending someone else's class and
>butting in constantly, or the non-instructor taking over the class from the
>instructor.

I refer to this as "being helpful", and I'm not quite certain I can convey
the true depth of my disregard for people who do this without resorting to
insulting terms and profanity.  I like you, have felt the urge to do so, at
times, it's true.  But I was raised to believe that the instructor's
authority in class is paramount, without that, the instructer has no
credibility, and without that there is no point in having the class.
I know how I feel about it happening in classes, and oddly enough it
hardly ever happens :)

To be honest, I've had to leave classes I was taking when someone started
doing this, and the instructor let them, since my basic response is to
correct the mis-behavior, but since I wasn't the instructor, correcting
the person in class would place me in the same "helpful" category as the
person I'd be correcting.  And since (as many of us know) it's darn near
impossible for me to see something that pisses me off and keep my mouth shut,
politely excusing myself and leaving is the better response.

>...Sometimes, we are overcome with enthusiasm and want to add to the
>instructor's words.  It is not usually intentional, but is usually seen as a
>challenge to the instructor's knowledge.

There is a difference between someone indicating that they understand and
have a little bit to share (which can be annoying, but is essentially fine),
and someone who has a lot to share.

>How would you as an instructor handle a "sniper"?

Generally I'm willing to politely listen, although if necessary cutting them
short after a minute or so.  After all, they may just be being enthusiastic.

If I get the sense that my authority as instructor is being threatened.
Indicate throught vocal tone, and body language that I'm getting a little
pissed off, while remaining calm and polite, cutting them off and suggesting
that perhaps after class would be an appropriate time to share this.

If necessary, this, a bit more firmly.

If that doesn't succeed, I have been known to resort to doing inappropriate
things like public humiliating them (can you tell I really despise this sort
of behavior).

>How would you handle the situation if you were a student?

Leave.  If that's not possible, I tend to get increasingly frustrated with
no outlet until I stop paying any attention to what's going on and eventually
explode and turn into a total cretin.  Hey, you asked.  I know it's not
appropriate, but that's what has happened in the few times it has happened,
since I have not been able to construct an appropriate response.

The problem is that if the instructor can not maintain control of their class,
they can't help that.  Some people are willing to be confrontational, others
are not.  I would prefer it if they would retain such control, but I also
know that it's not going to happen in every case.

>Is it different if the sniper is a Laurel?  Or a non-laurel, but respected
>in the field?

No.

I don't care if the instructor's feeding them a picnic basket full of pure
rubbish.  If they want to call it lunch, that's their prerogative.  At best,
I might consider a reminder that not everyone agrees on this point or that,
from a student (since that's usually true in most cases), or a statement
after the class is over about "for another perspective on this that was not
covered in class, see - whatever", which, while undercutting some of the
instructor's authority, doesn't do so while they are teaching.

Marc/Diarmaid