ANST - teaching issues ....

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Wed Jun 23 11:21:20 PDT 1999

On 23 Jun 99, at 12:15, Vicki Marsh wrote:

> After attending a wonderful King's College, I was wondering what everyone
> else thought of "sniping", that is, attending someone else's class and
> butting in constantly, or the non-instructor taking over the class from
> the instructor.
>
> How would you as an instructor handle a "sniper"?

do it the same way a university professor would ... if the questions support
and enhance the presentaion / material of the class, work them in.  if it's a
disruption to your presentation or a attempt to hijack it, take control of your
space and request that they save the comments / questions for the end (always a
good idea to set aside a segment for these.).  if it becomes excessive, ask
them to leave.

> How would you handle the situation if you were a student?

in a teaching setting, it is the instructors place to control their working
space.  it is a students place to listen / learn.  if there is a disruptive
student, it is not necessarily the place of the student sto attempt to corrrect
it, else it often amplifies the problem into complete chaos ... let the teacher
deal with it, and support them.

> Is it different if the sniper is a Laurel?  Or a non-laurel, but respected
> in the field?

no diffrence ... in a class there is instructor(s) and student(s).  if a laural
decides to attend a class as student, then they should act like same.  and
teacher should treat them as student.   the obligation of teacher is to the
class ... not to a any one tiltled individual, no matter what their rank.

if a laural takes exception with content or format of a presentation, the
proper place to discuss it is with that teacher *after* the class, not during.

'wolf

... truth is the sword of us all (lords of the new church)