ANST - sedan chairs

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Wed Jun 23 18:08:14 PDT 1999

> A portable enclosed chair for one person, having poles in the front and rear
> and carried by two other people. In this sense, also called
> sedan chair.
>
> Bear
>
> > What was a sedan in the middle ages? Was it a car? I wasn't aware they had
> > automobiles back then.
> >
> >               Lady Celeste Courtenay de Montmorency

For those who might want a little bit more info on sedan chairs, there is
some info in this file in the TRAVEL section of my Florilegium:
sedan-chairs-msg   (9K)  2/23/95    Sedan chairs.

I'm afraid though that is more about their use in the Current Middle Ages
than the real one. If anyone has any book recommendations or info on their
use in Medieval times, I'd love to hear it.

Lord Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net