ANST - Restrictions on Reigns

Carlos R. Seda cseda1 at pdq.net
Fri Jun 25 13:19:46 PDT 1999

moondrgn at bga.com> wrote:
> That certainly makes sense, but having made the decision to enter,
> why is a Duke allowed to quit in the middle for no other reason than
> that he is a duke?
> Just curious.

    It was explained to me many years ago that (aside of course from those
pursuing the crown) dukes entered the lists specifically to be a challenge,
to assure that only the most skilled (that day, of course), and of course
those with fate guiding their sword, reached the final rounds. Having twice
survived just such a process, they are deemed worthy to pose such a
challenge for the crown-seekers. And having achieved their purpose, they are
permitted to withdraw. It also explains the organization of the first round.
    By the way, no one can force you to fight. The average fighter may not
be able to "withdraw", but he can certainly yield the field to his opponent
for health or safety reasons, and - while very rare - it is not completely
unheard of for a fighter to yield the field for other reasons. How that
would be received would depend largely on the reason.

- Carlos Velasquez y Miranda