ANST - Crown topics

Pat Mullins padric at astrosfan.net
Sat Jun 26 11:32:03 PDT 1999

Sir Timo wrote:

>Even in modern sport, the "Best" person doesn't always win. At Wimbledon,
>where they seed the brackets, so the "best" meets the "worst", the number 1
>woman's seed was beaten in the first round by a lady ranked about 150!

Using your Wimbledon analogy, If the number one seed won three rounds of tennis, then decided to withdraw just because she didn't want to win the tourney, she would face censure and stiff fines from both Wimbledon and the pro tennis tour governing boards. Its the same way in golf. "I'm hurt" or "I'm ill" would be considered legitimate reasons for withdrawing from these sports. "I don't feel like it" would not be considered a legitimate reason.
>At the NCAA basketball tourney, there are four #1 seeds in regional brackets.
>If the "best" always won, the Final four would always be the four #1 seeds.
>But it doesnt happen! That's why you play the game, and thats why we fight
>the Crowns.

If the best won their way through the regional, then declined to attend the Final Four, their athletic department would get an investigation by the NCAA, and the second place finisher would advance to the Final Four.
They don't let NBA teams compete at the sub-regional or regional NCAA level just to make sure a fluke team from the bottom of the bracket doesn't upset a favorite. They let the chips fall where they may, between 64 teams that ALL WANT TO WIN.

>Timo

Padric

Signup for your FREE Houston Astros Fan E-Mail account at http://www.astrosfan.net and have the chance to win a free laptop computer!