ANST - Re: Period Jewelry

C. L. Ward gunnora at bga.com
Sat Jun 12 07:13:57 PDT 1999

Greetings, Alys.
>  My own time period is early sixteenth century England, but I am not
>restricting myself to that time period.  I mostly work with beads.  I've
>made a few unseccessful experiments with braided wire, and would like to
>learn more about that.  I'm probably being unrealistic, but I would like to
>to be able to document the work I do now in period.  But since most of my
>designs are based on my own personal tastes and not on historical research,
>I don't really know if that would be possible.  I truly appreciate your
>assistance.

You will probably be very pleased to find that Mistress Raisya has done
lots of exquisite braided wire jewelry and has documentation for it as
well.  You can contact her directly at: <RAISYA at aol.com>.

I don't know what all documentation Raisya will have, but I can tell you
from my own direct knowledge that the Vikings had a couple of types of
braided wire jewelry and I can show you examples in silver and in gold.
The braids were invariably round braids (three-wire jewelry existed, but
the strands appear to have been twisted rather than braided).  Let me know
if you'd like documentation for this type of period braided-wire work and
I'll get it to you.

As for beads, if you're interested in making your own, you'd want to
contact Mistress Teleri <esmitman at ghg.net>.  She not only crafts beautiful
glass beads, but exquisite glass vials as well using the lampworking
technique.

If you've got a different focus on beads, such as crafting them in metal,
you can get help with casting or with sheet metal fabrication techniques
from a number of sources in the kingdom.  I'd suggest going there to Master
Beohrtlic <beorhtlic at hotmail.com> or Master Fritz <rhemail at flash.net>, or
if you're interested in pewter casting, try Lord Stefan li Rous at
<rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com>

If you're looking specifically at 16th century jewelry, I'd turn to any of
many experts in this kingdom who are conversant with 16th century dress and
accessories.  Master Edwin <hrldsmn at aol.com> would be one good choice as a
possible person to consult with on the topic.

These are just a few folks working in the fields you mentioned.  I've seen
beautiful works from a number of other artisans out there who could
probably also offer you assistance.  You should ask in your local area as
well, because you may very well find that someone you know has information
or sources that are of interest to you.

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva, OL
Baroness to the Court of Ansteorra
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)