ANST - Swipping cattle in Yorkshire

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Fri Jun 18 13:42:45 PDT 1999

Baron Bors of Lothian (which is somewhere in the wastes north of here) said:

> << thievin' Scots that keep swipping my cattle. :-)   >>
> WHOAAAA!!1
>    We Scots don't steal cattle. We sometimes borrow them and sometimes FIND
> them.  They did'nt tell us who they belonged to, so we just assume that they
> are free:>)

Well, my good Norman brothers and I keep trying to tell them that these are
our cattle, or at least the cattle of our serfs. But somehow these Scots
don't seem to understand. Perhaps if they would learn a civilized language
such as French or even that slightly less barbaric language of the Anglo-Saxons,
we could communicate better. Maybe it's time to go on a small crusade and
get our cattle back or at least teach those Scots the power of Norman arms.
Unfortunately, Good King Stephen has got his hands full down south so it may
be awhile.

If they have to steal they should take the animals from the peasants
not the livestock on demense lands (lands held directly by the lord of
the manor).

Borrow? All I ever get back is bones. Haven't the Scots ever heard of
corn and vegetables? And Lent? Hmm. Maybe they don't know how to fish.
Well, no matter to me. Except that they're eating my cattle and sheep.
Maybe Rome will teach them how to fish or at least straighten them out
as to what should be eaten in Lent and on fast days.

Lord Stefan li Rous