ANST - Bananas and Historical Accuracy

K.C. Moon kmoon at texas.net
Sun Jun 20 14:01:24 PDT 1999

Greetings from Mari!

At 10:10 PM 6/18/99 -0500, Marc Carlson wrote:

>Why couldn't you "legally" bring them before?  No one stopping you.
>Either you bring them because you want them and aren't concerned with
>historical accuracy, or you don't bring them because you do care and realize
>that because a single bananna was found in a trash site dating from the 1400s
>to the 1600s that doesn't mean it was commonly done or even normal.

No offense meant to Diarmaid, but I like bananas.  They're cheap, easy to
transport, most people like them and they're a good source of potassium
which sweaty people, esp fighters, often need.  (Please, please, I beg of
you all, don't start a thread on potassium-rich, period alternatives to
bananas.  Please!)  I am also concerned with historical accuracy.  I don't
feel the two are mutually exclusive.

Bring your bananas.  Keep them in your courteously covered ice-chest and
eat them when you need or want them.  It's not something anyone needs to
particularly make a fuss over, unless you want to come leaping into a
crowded pavilion brandishing a shriveled black slimy slug-like thing,
shouting "Look what I pulled out of the King's midden heap!  Now I'm gonna
eat it!"  That alone could ruin the cachet of bananas for centuries; and
might have, for all anyone knows.

Since I have recently attended events where SCA members themselves sit by
the list-field wearing t-shirts and jeans, I think we have more pressing
concerns than public consumption of bananas.

Fondly,