ANST - restictions on reigns

Alys Roke shiningstaris at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 25 11:44:19 PDT 1999

> >the least qualified fighters?  A duke may very well be the best
> >fighter on the field.  If he doesn't intend to win, why ruin it for
> >perhaps the second best fighter on the field, who, had the duke not
> >entered, would have won crown?
>

>     He might be testing the mettle of fighters in the list. He has the
>right..in my opinion the responsibility..to make sure that the winner truly
>has what it takes. If you are going to fight, fight the best. You will
>never improve with easy fights, but every duke I have ever fought has
>taught me something. If you would be King you should be fighting as well as
>those dukes, if not better.
>
>Ivan the Hedgehog

This really isn't my conversation, but I feel the need to say something.
When I first started heavy training, I was told not to be discouraged if I
didn't win at first, and to remember that any fighter can win any fight at
any time.  I have never felt that Right of Arms is the best way to choose a
king, but being the way it is done, I certainly do not think it fair for a
Duke to enter Crown List with the intention of weeding out the weaker
entrants and then dropping out before the end.  I feel that if you enter a
Crown List, you should do so with the full intention of being king, and if
you lose, learn from your loss and try again.  I know I would be angry if I
lost to someone who never had any intention of accepting the crown.
The strongest arm does not make the best king.

In service,
Lady Alys Roke