ANST - Ducal perogative

LordVoldai at aol.com LordVoldai at aol.com
Sun Jun 27 08:56:58 PDT 1999

In a message dated 6/27/99 12:01:26 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-ansteorra at Ansteorra.ORG writes:

> They don't let NBA teams compete at the sub-regional or regional NCAA level
> just to make sure a fluke team from the bottom of the bracket doesn't upset
> favorite. They let the chips fall where they may, between 64 teams that ALL
> WANT TO WIN.
Padrick,

i think you are comparing apples to oranges here.  first off, this is not the
NCAA nor is it wimbelton. this is the SCA.  we do things differently than
most of the rest of the mundane world.  that is why most of us are here in
the first place.  secondly, just because someone is the best fighter does not
mean he/she will make a good sovereign.  THAT is why the ducal prerogative is
a good (and imho necessary) thing.  i have not played actively for a while
but have kept up with some of the moving and shaking going on and am getting
back in the swing of things.  go and talk to some of the royal family, the
landed barons or a friendly peer that you know.  most of them will have
stories about this that or the other crown whose actions weren't the best for
the kingdom.  the best fighting skills don't always go with the greatest
wisdom and even handedness of temper required to juggle the many and varied
issues in this kingdom.  frankly i'm often amazed at the sense these crowns
exercise after having their heads bashed in for the privilege (lol).

remember, this is the SCA, we do things a little differently around here
(usually for a reason too!!).

Voldai