ANST - Fwd: Making a Difference

Tim Goins timgoins at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 30 14:18:33 PDT 1999

Greetings:
I was asked to pass along the following to the members of the SCA by the
family of Bernadette Steinhauser. Lady Bernadette was killed in the
automobile accident that also took the life of HRM Osis of Ealdormere.
Meg Baron

To All Members:
I am writing on behalf of myself and my family, in response to the
wonderful support we have received from your group since the death of our
daughter and sister, Bernadette. Bernadette was killed in a car accident,
as you know on May 16, as was CRaig Cox, while returning from an event in
Ohio. The support from her friends in the S.C.A. was immediate. People we
have never met were there offering to do whatever they could for us. People
who we did not know drove many hundreds of miles to pay their respoects to
Bernadette and to introduce themselves to us and share stories of our
daughter. It is no wonder she was so in love with the group.
We have seen Bernadette's enthusiasm over the past several years and have
watched with amusement and a degree of admiration, as she sewed, took up
calligraphy, danced, and hammered out armour, turning our garage into a
workshop, and turning the heads of more than a few neighbours!. Most
weekends were taken up with one event or another, and the following days
were filled with stories. I am a teacher and several members came with
Bernadette to do a demo for one of our classes last year. Everyone was
impressed with the professional manner and the knowledge displayed by the
presenters.
Bernadette was a very self-assured young woman, and she found in the S.C.A
a family of people, who knew how to play, laugh, learn, and work together.
She took pleasure in what was offered to her, and I'm sure she gave back in
kind.We have been absolutely overwhelmed by the outpouring of cards, flowers,
letters and prayers that have come to us from all across North America. We
wish we could hug and thank each person individually for their
thoughtfulness, but in many cases we have no idea who to write to or how to
respond.We were hoping that our appreciation and thanks could be sent through
e-mail to the various cantons, and thus be shared with individual members.
Bernadette would be upset if the love and support her friends have offered
were to go un-recognized. I know this same support was given freely and
without reservation, but it is important to us also, to tell everyone how
much he or she meant to Bernadette and to thank them for all they gave to her.
We pray also for Nancy and the family of Craig. There are few words to
cover or explain the feelings that such a tragedy cause. We did not know
him, but understand he was an equally wonderful individual and will be
missed terribly. God grants us the love of friends, and the necessary time
to heal. With both of these and the gift of grace all will be whole again!
Thank you, and God Bless,
Mary Steinhauser