ANST - period playground equipment?

Jane Sitton-Logan/James D. Logan jesl at netzero.net
Sun Jun 13 08:57:47 PDT 1999

Bonjour from Madelina de Lindesaye.

My daughter (who will be 7 on Bastille Day) asked me last night if
swings and slides are period.  Does anyone know where I would even
start researching this?  I'm sure swings of a sort have been around
since the first caveman grabbed a vine and swung across a ravine,
creek, river, or the like.  But what about something built on
purpose, rope with a wooden seat, for example?

A swing is probably much older than a slide, though.  But wouldn't a
slide have come about from careful observation of something like
using a trough of some sort to fill a sack with grain, for
instance?  Or the simple act of accidentally sliding down a hill?

I think it would be really fun to be able to have some sort of
period playground equipment at, say, Springfaire (along with maybe a
Maypole).  But where do I even start looking?  Has anyone researched
this?  Any ideas?

I thank you in advance for any assistance.

Amicalement,
Madelina