ANST - Beware recruiting officers bearing gifts

Keith Hood keith_dell at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 3 10:39:11 PST 1999

Attention please:

We need people to man trebuchets at the Gulf War fort battles!  We have
a couple of weapons that could add to our throw weight, but we need more
crew members to work them.  Are there half a dozen loyal and true
Ansteorrans who are not afraid to learn an new way of clobbering
Trimarans?  You can make a significant contribution at the fort this
year!

What is involved in working a trebuchet?  Not much for our purposes -
the actions needed can be learned in just a few minutes.  Practicing to
get some idea of how to adjust the fall of shot may take an hour or so.
The total investment on your part is maybe half an hour Thursday to set
up, perhaps as much as an hour Thursday or Friday to practice, and
another half hour after the fort battles to tear down.  And of course,
using the weapons during the fort battles.

The reward?  The joy and glory of paving the way to your kingdom's great
victory by squashing Trimarans!  The indescribable pleasure of watching
one of your missiles soaring in an elegant parabola against the azure
sky, and driving some schmuck into the ground like a tent peg!  The
accolades of an appreciative audience and the heartfelt thanks of the
fighters whose triumph you assured!  And I supply the beer.

Anyone who is interested please e-mail me, or come see me at Lyonesse
this weekend.  Up the artillery.  Death to the 'phibs. :-)

     Tomonaga

--
A long bow and a strong bow,
And let the sky grow dark.

        -- Stolen from "The Song of the Bosonian Archers" --
               By Robert E. Howard, who should be
                 the patron saint of Ansteorra