ANST - doin' the apathy wave?

Jerry Norris jerryn at sprintmail.com
Tue Mar 2 21:48:17 PST 1999

At 09:34 PM 3/2/99 -0600, Perronnelle wrote:
>Every year before Gulf Wars various people start whining "I don't wanna
>go".

>  How do other folks get through it?  Any idea
>what's different this year?  I think it may be the added day.

We have, as yet, not reached a point where we don't want to go.  Some times
it's one of the things that helps us get through to that particular portion
of the year.

I think what happens in some cases is the idea that there's so much other
planning that needs to be done.

Last year and this year we cooked w/ a crew of people that included Ld
Othar and Ldy Devnet, Ldy Cateau and Ld Ulfstead, Ld Kelvin and Ldy Melody,
Ldy Kiera, and others.  I remember counting about twelve head for the
steak-fest (yes, folks, we had one then, too!) for that Saturday night!
Right next to us was you and your husband and your group, and the smells
coming from that portion of the camp were heavenly (with your husbands
camp-oven that he had put together ingeniously!).

I know that you both were part of another group of people that had a
planning meeting; who's cooking what?  Who'd bringing the big kettle?  How
many will be there for what night,.  When do we start cooking.  Who's
cleaning up?

And that's just the food!

This will make my third Gulf Wars.  Right now there's still a pair of pants
that needs sewing up a bit (Lord Malachi was kind enough to send his tailor
over to help me with my wardrobe) before putting the buttons and finishing
the rough spots.  I've a shirt to make, patches to make on my existing
tunics, etc., etc., etc.

But the chili for the Gulf Coast Regional Hospitality tent is finished and
cooling in the refrigerators.  The meat for the stir-fry is sliced and
marinated and packaged and in the freezer.  Our list of things to do is
getting shorter and it's good because so is the time.

How do I get through it?

I remember things, such as your husband showing off his "new" oven (and how
impressed I was at _all_ that it could do!).

I remember a cold wintery night when His Majesty Ma'hadi joined a bardic
circle and gave a rousing version of "Born on the Listfield" while his
entourage continued to insist that "we really need to be moving along, your
majesty,".

I remember watching the Ansteorran army, with our stalwart allies, wheeling
around and engulfing the armies of Trimaris.

I remember playing in a warm hall for dancers who enjoyed the dancing as
much as we enjoyed playing the music (and the night that the musicians (at
least two of them) called the dance ("Karabouchka!")).

I've got a lot of these memories, and only two Gulf Wars under my belt.
That's what keeps _me_ going.

At least that's what my wife says. ;)

Gerald of Leesville - Barony of Stargate - Kingdom of Ansteorra
jerryn at sprintmail.com -  Jerry Norris - Houston, Texas USA
writer, reader, thinker, father, lover.